12/22/10 The Starke County Chamber of Commerce today announced that the 2010 Henry F. Schricker Award Winner is Marvin D. McLaughlin who is well known in Starke County for his active advocate for the citizenry.
The prestigious award is named after Henry F. Schricker who was born in North Judson Indiana on August 30, 1883. He became Governor of the State of Indiana for terms in 1941-1944 and again from 1949-1952. Governor Schricker is the only person in Indiana History to be elected to two non-consecutive terms as Governor. The Indiana Constitution adopted in 1861 prohibited persons from being elected to consecutive terms as Governor until changed in the early 1970’s. Governor Schricker always lived by the attitude of “service before self”, which credo has become the foundation of the award named in his honor.
Mr. McLaughlin had a private law practice in North Judson from 1957 – 1962, after which he took office as Starke County Circuit Court Judge. Retired Governor Schricker was present and spoke a few words at the ceremony when Judge McLaughlin was sworn into office.
While in office, he initiated the bill to create a Master Commissioner for the Starke Circuit Court, thereby relieving the heavy workload of the Circuit Court Judge without the expense of creating a Superior Court in the County.
Mr. McLaughlin’s affiliations and community service includes the following:
Participated in performances presented by the Starke County Fine Arts Commission and the drama department of the North Judson United Methodist Church as well as appearances at retirement homes and Health Care Centers. He narrated “Sing Out America” at the bicentennial celebration in 1976 and was in the community choir performance of “Celebrate America” in 1991.
McLaughlin was awarded the Sagamore of the Wabash by Governor Evan Bayh which was presented at Judge McLaughlin’s retirement recognition in 1992.
He welcomed the opportunity to host elementary school classes in his courtroom, showing them the courtroom and explaining some of the court procedures.
He was actively involved in the celebration of North Judson’s Centennial in 1966 and in the Centennial of the Starke County Courthouse in 1998.
Demonstrating his fun side, he judged a Boy Scout Fun Fair in 1967 and crawled around the Courthouse on his hands and knees in a challenge to raise money for the Marshall-Starke Development Center in 1974.
He appeared in the 1968 edition of Community Leaders of America, was a Toastmasters Club member, and a North Judson Kiwanis member, serving as president and in many service capacities.
He continues to serve the public today on the County Council board, representing those in his district. He also continues to do arbitration work, as he believes it helps to work things out before they go to court. This also saves the taxpayers money.
“Marvin has had a history of contributions to this County. His involvement has been legendary; he has touched all of us, and continues to do so.”