The Labor Day holiday weekend is a heavy travel time for drivers along Indiana highways and interstates. The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) reminds Hoosiers to travel safely and plan ahead to allow for more driving time during this busy holiday weekend.
Beginning Friday, September 3 at noon, most maintenance activities and construction projects will halt work until sunrise on Tuesday, September 7 to increase roadway capacity and safety. The following restrictions will remain in place for the Labor Day weekend in the INDOT LaPorte District:
- I-80/94 (Borman Expressway) traffic is restricted to three lanes in each direction as crews widen and reconstruct westbound lanes between State Road 53 (Broadway) and Central Avenue. Visit www.borman.in.gov for details.
- The Central Avenue on-ramp to the westbound Borman is closed through November.
- There are also lane restrictions on the I-65 northbound ramp to the westbound Borman.
- Work zone speed limit is 45 MPH.
- State Road 2 traffic is restricted to one lane between Clark Road and Marshall Street in Lowell for small structure replacement. Traffic is directed by a temporary traffic signal.
- State Road 8 Eastbound traffic will be directed south on U.S. 421, east on S.R. 10, north on S.R. 39 and back to S.R. 8. Westbound traffic will be detoured south on S.R. 39, west on S.R. 10, north on U.S. 421 and back to S.R. 8.
- State Road 149 is closed from U.S. 20 to U.S. 6 for railroad track replacement. Northbound traffic on S.R. 149 will be detoured east on U.S. 6, north on S.R. 49, west on I-84, west on U.S. 20 and back to S.R. 149. Southbound traffic will be taken east on U.S. 20, east on I-94, south on S.R. 49, west on U.S. 6 and back to S.R. 149.
St. Joseph County:
- State Road 23 traffic is restricted to one lane in each direction in downtown Granger. There is no dedicated left turn lane.
- U.S. 31 will have lane restrictions Friday just south of Roosevelt Road. One lane will be closed in each direction.
- U.S. 35 is closed between S.R. 8 and U.S. 30 for small structure replacement. Southbound traffic is detoured west on U.S. 30, south on S.R. 39 and east on S.R. 8. Northbound traffic is directed west on S.R. 8, north on S.R. 39 and east on U.S. 30.
INDOT reminds drivers to use caution and consider worker safety when driving through a construction zone. For the latest news and information about INDOT, please visit www.in.gov/indot.