03/02/11 Residents on Plymouth‚Äôs southeast side of town were evacuated early Tuesday morning for a gas leak in the former United Technologies building at the corner of Liberty Street and Pennsylvania area.¬†
Plymouth Police, Fire and EMS and Argos Fire and EMS members went door to door knocking on at least 100 homes and residences informing sleeping citizens of the need to evacuate.¬† Many of the residents went to the American Red Cross Shelter that was opened about 3:15 a.m. at the First United Church of Christ in downtown Plymouth.¬†
Mickey Davenport Red Cross Shelter Director said they registered 70 citizens who came to the shelter between 3:30 and 5 a.m.¬† Many of those who were forced to evacuate were senior citizens from the Garden Court Complex although families with children were also sent to the shelter.¬† After making everyone comfortable the Red Cross obtained some refreshments for those who had taken refuge in the shelter.
Representatives from NIPSCO were on the scene shortly after the gas leak was discovered by a Plymouth Police officer who was on routine patrol. ¬†At approximately 6:30 a.m. workers from NIPSCO entered the building at 301 Pennsylvania Avenue and discovered a roof collapse that had damaged a gas line. A repair was made and the all-clear was given shortly after 7 a.m.¬†
According to the County‚Äôs GIS the building is owned by Indiana Tool and Manufacturing.