06/23/11 Plymouth Fire Chief Andy Metsker call the County Dispatch Center at 10:50 Wednesday morning to report that his department had received a direct phone call of a gas leak at the intersection of Miner and Hogarth Streets on the city’s south side.
The Plymouth Water Department is working on a water main project in the area and accidently hit a NIPSCO gas line. The brisk winds were causing the gas to drift north and east into the neighborhood. About 11:15 police and firefighters began an evacuation of the two residential blocks between South Michigan and Bayless and Ewing and Hogarth. More than a dozen homes are in this area.
Fire Chief Metsker said, “We are taking precautionary steps now, basically making sure nothing happens.” He also confirmed that NIPSCO was on their way and that they arrived on the scene 10 to 15 minutes after the leak was called in to assess the situation.
Many of those home at the time of the gas leak heeded the evacuation order but a few decided to take their chances. Anyone who was evacuated and didn’t have a place that they could go to was offered to stay at the Plymouth Fire Department until the situation was resolved.