Firefighters from 4 Department Respond to AK Industires Wednesday Night
10/13/11 A fire at A K Industries Wednesday night about 8 p.m. sent fire fighters from Plymouth, Argos, LaPaz and Polk Township to the factory at 2555 PIDCO Drive.
Plymouth Police officer Shanna Gilmer had been dispatched to the area of the factor for a possible fight. When she arrived on the scene she saw flames shooting from the roof of the building and immediately called in the fire.
Because of the volatile gases used to operate the ovens Chief Metsker called for mutual aid from area departments. The Plymouth Fire Department arrived on the scene in minutes and located the fire.
A rotational molding machine in the back building had a mechanical issue and the oven over-heated. A fire started in the machine and spread to the ceiling filling the building with smoke.
Plymouth firefighters were able to quickly knock down the fire.
Fire crews were on the scene for approximately an hour and no injuries were reported to employees of AK Industries because of their quick evacuation. No firefighters were injured battling the blaze.