The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Watch for most of the area effective Monday night through Wednesday night. There is also a Blizzard Watch in effect for the extreme northwest corner of the state beginning Tuesday night through Wednesday night.
The weather service alert states that the storm is expected to dump anywhere from 12 to 18 inches of snow and wind gusts between 15 and 30 miles an hour are also expected. That brings the possibility for blowing and drifting snow.
In advance of the storm, INDOT crews were out over the weekend and will be out Monday applying anti-icing materials to the roadways. This allows the initial snowfall to melt more quickly. Crews also spent the weekend performing routine maintenance on the plow trucks to ensure they’re ready for the storm.
When the snow begins falling, INDOT’s LaPorte District will have a full contingent of about 170 snow plows working around the clock to clear snow from the roads as quickly as possible. Front end loaders have also been moved to areas that traditionally see the worst blowing and drifting snow.
The latest road conditions are available around the clock at www.trafficwise.IN.gov or 1-800-261-ROAD. Drivers are urged to use caution as snow is cleared from roadways. INDOT asks drivers to keep the following safety tips in mind during any winter weather event.
- ACCELERATE GRADUALLY on ice or snow to avoid slipping and sliding
- DRIVE SLOWLY and carefully to avoid rear-end collisions and sliding on curves
- ALLOW GREATER DISTANCE behind the car ahead; it takes more time to stop on snow and ice
- BRAKE EARLY, break slowly, never slam on the brakes; if you have anti-lock brakes, press the pedal down firmly and hold it; if you don’t, gently pump the pedal
- NO CRUISE CONTROL, avoid abrupt steering maneuvers
- MAINTAIN GOOD VISIBILITY, stay alert
- GIVE SNOWPLOWS ROOM to operate; don’t tailgate or try to pass
In winter weather, drivers should remember “Ice and Snow, Take it Slow!” More information is available at www.winterdrivingsafety.in.gov.