Plymouth Fire Chief Andy Metsker said the cause of the fire has been determined at accidental. As resident was smoking a cigar and left it, he thought in an ashtray when he went to a neighboring apartment. About 20 to 30 minutes later he smelled smoke and when to check. The couch in the living room was fully engulfed and flames were moving up the wall.
Chief Metsker said the fire spread through the attic space with the high winds to the four other units in the building. The roof system sustained substantial damage. Several of the apartments were also extensively damaged.
Of the five apartments in the complex two were occupied and one was in the process of moving.
No injuries were reported and firefighters were on the scene for more than 9 hours.