07/05/11 State Rep. Bill Friend (R-Macy) was assigned to two interim study committees in order to better address issues facing Hoosiers statewide. Rep. Friend will be serving as vice chairman of the Water Resources Study Committee and as a member of the Indiana Protection and Advocacy Services Commission.
“There are always topics that need to be further studied before we can propose legislation,” said Rep. Friend. “Our work in the summer and fall better prepares us to help find solutions to problems that face our communities.
“I am honored to be named vice chair of the Water Resources Committee. I am also very pleased to be a member of the Indiana Protection and Advocacy Services Commission, particularly because the commission will be addressing the topic of how protect a variety of affected individuals including those suffering from Parkinson’s disease. The disease has affected those very near and dear to me and I strive to help find solutions to better those afflicted whenever possible.”
The following information includes a brief description of both interim study committees Rep. Friend will be serving on.
Water Resources Study Committee
- The usage, quality and quantity of water resources in Indiana
- Issues concerning diffused surface water, the common enemy doctrine of law and runoff
- Current processes and methods used in determining water resource allocation and distribution in Indiana
- Appropriate policies governing future water resource allocation and distribution planning in Indiana
Indiana Protection and Advocacy Services Commission
- Assure that adequate legal and advocacy services for the promotion, protection and advocacy of the rights and interests of individuals with a developmental disability are accessible throughout the state
“As a part-time legislature, Indiana’s General Assembly uses the interim to work ahead and address both new and past issues that have been brought to our attention. I look forward to having the chance to find solutions that will benefit Indiana,” said Rep. Friend.