He is buried in the cemetery that bears the family name. Jacoby Church is pictured in the background.
In 1862, the War Between the States has settled into a long and bloody conflict. Men across the country are marching off to battle, widowed women and orphaned children are holding body and soul together by managing the left behind farms. Marshall County is still a forested frontier, populated by immigrants and third generation pioneer families.
These men and women put their faith in God and one another. Neighbors harvest crops and build barns together. The women socialize over food preservation and sewing. Children learn early to shoulder responsibility. The people of the Jacoby neighborhood are no different.
From 1849 when the extensive Jacoby clan left Ohio and moved to adjoining farms northeast of Plymouth, they have worked to build homes, farms, a one-room school, and a simple frame church. They mourned the loss of family members and established a cemetery.
In June 1861 they dedicated a brand new church full of hope and peace for the future. The country is gripped by conflict of abolitionism and states’ rights. Within the year, young men have answered the call to protect the Union from secession. Some enlist for patriotic reasons, others for the promise of steady pay.
With this historic background in mind, members of Wythougan Valley Preservation Council proudly present a return to those days at the historic St. John’s German Reformed, also known as Jacoby Church. At 2:00 p.m. Sunday, September 11, there will be a tribute to the Civil War era featuring a historical interpretation by Bob Herr, music by Dawn and Jack Roose, a quilt display, Civil War soldiers’ letters, and light refreshments. The program will take place indoors and out, according to the weather. Be alert for parking instructions. There are no restroom facilities on site.
Jacoby Church is located one mile north of US 30 on King Rd. For further information contact Kurt Garner at 936-0613 or Karin Rettinger at 342-8762.