Member Login

Lost your password?

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

1 Dead in US 30 Crash with Wind Turbine Propeller

September 26, 2012
By

09/27/12 Traffic on US 30 at the Grovertown Truck Stop was delayed Wednesday morning for a two vehicle accident that ended up being deadly.

The Starke County Sheriff’s Department 9-1-1 Center received a call of a traffic accident involving a passenger car and a semi at 6:11 a.m. CST.

Emergency responders arrived on scene and found that a semi hauling a wind turbine propeller was leaving the Grovertown Truck Stop to go east on US 30 and the load was completely across the westbound lanes and partially across the eastbound lanes of US 30.

A westbound passenger car failed to see the semi pulling out onto the highway and drover under the semi-trailer that was carrying the propeller.

The two occupants of the passenger car were trapped in the vehicle underneath the trailer and had to be extricated by Starke County emergency personnel.  One patient was transported by ambulance to Memorial Hospital and is listed in stable condition.  The male passenger was transported to Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center in Plymouth and then transported to Memorial Hospital where he died from the injuries he sustained in the crash.

The names of those involved have not been released pending notification of relatives.

The Sheriff’s Department was assisted at the scene by the Koontz Lake Fire Department, Hamlet Fire Department, Starke County EMS, and Plymouth Paramedics.

This accident is still under investigation by the Starke Sheriff’s Department and the Indiana State Police Department of Transportation Inspectors.

WordPress Plugin Share Bookmark Email

Tags: , , ,

8 Responses to “ 1 Dead in US 30 Crash with Wind Turbine Propeller ”

1. Thor on October 2, 2012 at 10:20 am

From what I’ve seen these gargantuan rotating pinwheel blades are always painted dove grey to make them less visibly intrusive. During dusk, or the false dawn, they would be almost invisible. It’s why they paint combat aircraft that color…

More of your tax dollars at work as the companies throw caution to the wind to get these abominations installed before the end of the year so they can qualify for the Uncle Sugar Green credits.

2. sherry2933 on September 28, 2012 at 11:21 am

As everyone fails to mention that it is NOT LEGAL to pull an oversized load before daylight. At 6:15 it is not daylight. These men you are blaming are my cousins. You have no idea if they were texting or talking because you were not in their car. Dont you think the brother that is still alive and fighting for his life, needs to read this kind of stuff. Thanks

3. Teknowlogist on September 28, 2012 at 2:03 am

To all the others above…I was there right after the crash. There were no skid marks…the driver never hit the brakes. He did attempt to swerve at the very last minute but at that point, it was too late and he hit primarily on the driver front corner. It actually hit the trailer so hard that it cracked the fender on the truck from the rocking of the trailer on the fifth wheel. He had to be traveling near highway (60 mph, which as I will mention below, is speeding in that exact area as it’s supposed to be a reduced speed zone, 45 mph) speed when it happened. Additionally, I drive that road EVERY day and I’m well aware that you can see something like that well ahead of time.

As I did not witness it from moment one, I cannot say who was at fault…and it IS extremely possible its the truckers fault…but it hit near the rear of the trailer, pulled by a VERY low geared truck…with two escorts with it, both with flashing lights. The ones on the truck were still on when I was there.

So all that said, what I’m saying is…while it is possible the accident is the truck drivers fault…the guy who was killed obviously was driving distracted -probably texting, talking to his brother, or messing with the radio-, not a good move when speed is supposed to be reduced to 45 around the truck stop -not that anyone obeys that, but still-. So, he is responsible for his own death. I’d say someone may be liable in a civil case, but probably not in a criminal case.

4. R on September 27, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Wow people should really think about how the semi driver feels. For those of you that don’t know alot of them remember things like this. I feel bad for the driver and hope that people consider it. I mean if i was that car i think i would of been paying attention to the road and not whatever else they were doing.

5. AnnF on September 27, 2012 at 1:30 pm

While we are on the subject, Laville school buses have also caused me to come to a dead stop on 31. Shouldn’t our children’s lives be safe guarded from a predictable accident as well?

6. geek2point0 on September 27, 2012 at 1:24 am

This is just another accident that proves the need for a traffic light at this intersection. Before they get a light put in there they should at least patrol the truck stop for trucks that pull out like this and think that they can stop everyone just so they don’t have to wait an extra minute to pull out. I hope the driver of the semi was ticketed and his company fined for driver incompentence.

7. zanderkelly on September 26, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Good job truckers!! You killed a very good person. Steve was an all-state basketball player in the 80′s. A great Dad. A model citizen. You cross a 2-way highway with a load that big you shut down traffic both ways until it is safe. I hope you get sued!

8. AnnF on September 26, 2012 at 4:25 pm

“A westbound passenger car failed to see the semi pulling out onto the highway”…. I hate that truck stop. I can not tell you how many times I’ve had to come to a dead stop on 30. These semis are bullies thinking the biggest is the mightiest and must win. The way this article is written, it looks as if the driver of the car was at fault. I have to wait my turn, and see no reason why these monstrous trucks needn’t not wait, also.