Â 11/26/12 State Senator Ryan Mishler (R-Bremen) gathered with fellow legislators Tuesday at the Statehouse for Organization Day â€” the ceremonial start of the 118th Indiana General Assemblyâ€™s budget session.
Organization Day is marked by the swearing in of new General Assembly members as well as the annual first roll call of all state lawmakers. This day also provides each House and Senate caucus with the opportunity to organize before session officially begins on Jan. 7.
The 2013 session is a budget year, meaning lawmakers will draft a comprehensive proposal to fund government services for the next two years. By law, the 2013 legislative session must be completed no later than April 29.
â€śThis session, passing another balanced budget and responding to federal healthcare reform are top priorities for me,â€ť Mishler said. â€śI am proud to say that in the Indiana General Assembly, lawmakers will work across the aisle with a common focus on making Indiana a better place to live.â€ť
Mishler said other Senate priorities for the 2013 session include:
- Protecting Hoosier children by improving Indianaâ€™s Department of Child Services
- Improving education by promoting early childhood education and working to ensure college or vocational training is financially attainable
- Building on Indianaâ€™s low-tax, job-friendly environment
- Reforming Indianaâ€™s criminal penalties
Additionally, Mishler was appointed ranking member of the Senate Committee on Appropriations, where he will lead the Senateâ€™s work on the K-12 school funding formula. He will also serve as a member of the following committees in 2013 and 2014:
- Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Health and Provider Services
- Provider Services Subcommittee
- Tax and Fiscal Policy
As the 2013 session gets under way, Mishler encourages Senate District 9 residents to contact him with any questions or comments they may have. Mishler can be reached via email at Senator.Mishler@iga.in.gov or by phone at 1-800-382-9467.