10/11/12 Wythougan Valley Preservation Council held its annual meeting on October 7 at Jacoby Church, northeast of Plymouth. The church, constructed in 1860, was restored and listed on the National Register of Historic Places by Wythougan in 2008. The Marshall County Church Orchestra provided a musical program in advance of the annual meeting. The orchestra, led by Don Harness, played a variety of patriotic and religious numbers with some being dedicated to Jacoby Church. Refreshments were served at the end of the meeting.
Teressa Welborn, outgoing Vice-President, conducted the election of officers for 2012-2013. RT Henke of Bremen and Mary Ann Norris of North Township were elected co-Vice-Presidents. Karin Rettinger of Bourbon was elected Secretary-Treasurer and Kurt Garner, also of North Township, was elected President. The annual budget was then adopted.
The Daniel McDonald Heritage Awards for 2012 were presented at the meeting. Daniel McDonald is recognized as the most influential historian of Marshall County. McDonald authored several books on the history of the county, the Menominee band of American Indians, and Free Masonry in Indiana. McDonald was a state representative and the main proponent in the creation of the Chief Menominee memorial. The McDonald presentations are made annually to individuals, organizations, and communities who have made extraordinary contributions in the practice of historic preservation in Marshall County.
There were five recipients of the award this year. Paul Carothers was given the award for the preservation of his family’s centennial farm in North Township. Mr. Carothers was born on farm in 1912 and celebrated his 100th birthday this year.
Brian and Amy Norris were given the award for their dramatic rescue and restoration of the Rose House, also in North Township. The house was constructed in 1913 by an entertainer and later became the home of the Harold Rose family. Rose was the president of a Plymouth bank.
Awards were also presented to the Town of Bourbon for the recent allocation of funds to the preservation of buildings in their historic downtown, and to Fred and Laura Anderson for the preservation of the downtown building in Bremen that houses Anderson & Company, CPA. The building is one of only a few downtown wood buildings that remain in Marshall County. It was constructed in about 1880.
The final award was given to Mr. Brent Martin with BA Martin, Architects. Mr. Martin has been an advocate for historic preservation in Marshall County for nearly thirty years. Aside from his community advocacy, he also restored the former Presbyterian Church parsonage, constructed in 1872, near the courthouse square for his offices.
Wythougan Valley Preservation Council was established in 1999. The membership-based organization has completed several National Register nominations and rescued and restored the Garn House in Plymouth, Summit School in Tippecanoe Township, and Jacoby Church. The board of directors is composed of representatives from each of the county’s townships. The group has a long partnership with the Marshall County Community Foundation, through which an endowment was established in 2010. The fund is open to receive charitable gifts to assist in preservation work in Marshall County. For more information about Wythougan contact Kurt Garner at 574-936-0613. Updates on Wythougan Valley can also be found on Facebook.
Photo 1 is Mary Ann Norris, left, presented a Daniel McDonald Historic Preservation Award to her nephew, Brian Norris for his preservation of the Harold Rose farm house.
Photo 2 is The Bourbon Town Council received a Daniel McDonald Historic Preservation Award for allocating town funds to improve the look of downtown business facades. Left to right are councilmen Larry Wattenbarger, Les McFarland, and PJ Hanley.
Photo 3 is Kurt Garner, left, presented a Daniel McDonald Historic Preservation Award to Brent Martin for 30 years of preservation work in Marshall County.