01/13/12 Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT)â€™s LaPorte District has every available snow plow on the roads or on standby in anticipation of the winter storm headed toward our area. Crews began pre-treating the roads with anti-icing materials Tuesday in anticipation of the snowfall. They will be working 12-hour shifts to keep the highways clear.
The LaPorte District maintains about 5,600 of the stateâ€™s 30,000 lane miles of state highways and interstates and uses more than 170 snow plows to clear state highways safely and quickly.
For the latest on winter road conditions, visit www.trafficwise.IN.gov or call 1-800-261-ROAD (7623).Â The site is updated during snow events to let drivers know if road conditions are good, fair or difficult.
The biggest impact to safe winter travel begins and ends with driver behavior. Drivers are urged to use caution as snow is cleared from roadways. INDOT asks drivers to keep the following safety tips in mind during any winter weather event.
- Â ACCELERATE GRADUALLY on ice or snow to avoid slipping and sliding;
- DRIVE SLOWLY and carefully to avoid rear-end collisions and sliding on curves;
- ALLOW GREATER DISTANCE behind the car ahead; it takes more time to stop on snow and ice;
- BRAKE EARLY, break slowly, never slam on the brakes; if you have anti-lock brakes, press the pedal down firmly and hold it; if you donâ€™t, gently pump the pedal;
- NO CRUISE CONTROL, avoid abrupt steering maneuvers;
- MAINTAIN GOOD VISIBILITY, stay alert;
- GIVE SNOWPLOWS ROOM to operate; donâ€™t tailgate or try to pass.