04/05/12 The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) reminds all Hoosiers that campaign signs are prohibited from federal and state highway rights-of-way by Indiana Code 9-21-4-6. INDOT personnel are required by state law to remove all unauthorized signs within the state right-of-way. The right-of-way areas which must remain “sign free” for the safety of the motoring public include:
- All interstates and their interchanges;
- All intersections where at least one local, state or federal road intersects with a state or federal highway; and
- All rights-of-way paralleling federal or state highways (the right-of-way extends to the back of the ditch, to the fence line or up to utility poles). INDOT crews will not pull signs placed behind the ditch, fence line or beyond the public utility poles.
Removed signs will be saved at the nearest INDOT Subdistrict office. Candidates may reclaim signs between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, except for holidays:
- LaPorte Subdistrict, 315 Boyd Boulevard, LaPorte, IN
- Gary Subdistrict, 7601 Melton Road, Gary, IN
- Plymouth Subdistrict, 12636 4-A Road, Plymouth, IN
- Rensselaer Subdistrict, 1130 East Maple Street, Rensselaer, IN
- Winamac Subdistrict, 1651 North U.S. 35, Winamac, IN
- Monticello Subdistrict, 12209 North 1200 West, Monticello, IN
The public or candidates can also call INDOT toll-free at 855-GO-INDOT (855-464-6368).