Conservation Officers were called to the location near Rochester after receiving a report of a man who suffered a gunshot wound.
Kenneth Moore, 28, of Rochester, was shot and killed from an apparent single gunshot to the head. Moore was hunting with three friends at the time of the incident, including a 12 year old and two adults, while participating in the Indiana youth deer hunting season.
At some point, the hunting party split into two groups. Moore and the 12 year old were walking along a corn field when an adult shooter from the other group shot Moore.
Moore was loaded into a privately owned vehicle destined for a hospital. An ambulance met the vehicle and completed transporting Moore to Woodlawn Hospital in Rochester where he was pronounced dead.
The incident remains under investigation. Indiana Conservation Officers were assisted by Fulton County Sheriff’s Department and Indiana State Police. More information will be released as it becomes available.
Safety tips while hunting with firearms
- Wear hunter orange that is visible in all directions
- Treat every firearm as if it’s loaded
- Keep the muzzle of the firearm pointed in a safe direction at all times
- Keep your finger off the trigger and outside the trigger guard until ready to shoot
- Positively identify your target before pulling the trigger
- Always know what’s beyond the target and have a good backstop