Member Login

Lost your password?

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

Bomb Threat at PHS Delays Plymouth Schools for 2 Hours Thursday

January 23, 2013

  01/24/13 Plymouth Schools will have a two-hour delay on Thursday morning due to a bomb threat at Plymouth High School.

Superintendent Daniel Tyree said they called a corporation- wide delay because the school buses shuttle students for all of the other schools at the high school each morning. Tyree assured WTCA saying, “The only school building effected was PHS.”

Although the actual wording was not released, Tyree called the bomb threat a “sloppy mess on a bathroom wall”. He said the Plymouth Police are investigating and dogs trained in bomb detection from the Indiana State Police will be at the school by 5:15 a.m. Tyree continued, “We expect to allow people into the building if we know everything is safe.”

PHS Principal Jim Condon said, “I will not allow staff or students into the building until 9:30 a.m., but will make a determination by 8:00 a.m. if school will be held.  The tentative plan is to have a two-hour delay.” Condon said they are having a complete investigation in cooperation with the Plymouth Police Department.”

Tyree said PHS Principal Jim Condon was handling the situation for the corporation.   Tyree was able to confirm through Condon that the building was evacuated at 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday night. Tyree said, “There was staff waiting for the girls basketball team to return back to the school from their away game.” He continued, “The building will be locked down until Thursday morning.”

Tyree confirmed that a message concerning the bomb threat was sent out by  phone to parents, staff and students from PHS.

Carol Anders Correspondent

Power School message sent out about 9:30 p.m. Wednesday:

From Mr. James Condon – Principal Plymouth High School:
On January 23 after school had ended we found a written note on one of our bathroom walls, a threat that a bomb would be in our library Thursday and go off at 12:30.
The Plymouth Police were immediately notified of this threat and completed a walk through of the library.  Tomorrow morning at 5:00 AM, State Police will complete a thorough investigation of our school.  Assuming nothing is found, school will begin two hours late.  Students are not to be in the building prior to 9:30 for any reason.  We will have police officers and extra administrators present throughout the day tomorrow.  Student safety will be our primary concern throughout this process.