Conservation officers will be patrolling Indiana waterways this summer to ensure that boaters comply with boating laws. Officers encourage boaters to become familiar with Indiana boating laws and follow safe boating procedures by following these tips:
1. Always wear a life jacket.
2. Never sit on the gunwale (side) of a motorboat while in motion.
3. Do not ride on the bow decking of a motorboat while in motion.
4. Never tow a skier or tuber without an observer.
5. Pay attention to marker buoys and idle zone restricted areas.
6. If 21 or older, only consume alcoholic beverages in moderation (0.08 is the legal limit).
7. Use navigational lights and anchor lights between sunset and sunrise.
8. Nighttime speed limit is 10 MPH on all inland lakes.
The online Indiana boating guide is at boat-ed.com/in/handbook/. A hard copy of this guide may be found at most boat marinas.
An informative boating violations video may be viewed at dnr.IN.gov/lawenfor/5066.htm.
Anyone witnessing boating violations or in need of assistance from a conservation officer can call (812) 837-9536 to reach any officer in the state.