Member Login

Lost your password?

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

Need More Time to File Your Taxes?

April 8, 2013

  04/09/13 The tax filing deadline is FAST approaching! You only have until April 15 to file your taxes.
Filing online is the fastest and easiest way to make sure your return gets processed quickly. Indiana has a free method for filing both your state and federal taxes. It’s Indiana freefile. About 1 million Hoosiers qualify for this free service. Go to to find out if you qualify.

If you’re not going to make the April 15 deadline, you will need to file an extension of time to file.
To file an extension, first determine whether you are going to owe state taxes, receive a refund or break even. If you are going to owe taxes:

  • Download Form IT-9 from the state’s income tax form      list.
  • Figure how much you owe and mail your payment with the      IT-9.
  • Pay at least 90 percent of the tax you are going to      owe.
  • You will have until June 17 to file your return along      with the rest of your payment.

Note: Penalties for late filing are waived, but you will still be liable for interest accrued or any unpaid amount.

If you are not going to owe taxes and will receive a refund or break even, you will need to keep the following in mind:

  • If you have filed for a federal extension of time to      file (IRS Form 4868), then you won’t need an      additional extension for Indiana filing purposes. A federal extension of      time to file extends your filing period with Indiana to November 15.
  • If you don’t have a federal extension, complete Form      IT-9, get it postmarked by April 15 and file your tax return by June 17.
  • Even if you owe no tax liability, you still must file.      You can still be charged late filing penalties if you don’t file on      time.

If you are in the military, Indiana has special filing considerations. The Indiana Department of Revenue’s Information Bulletin #27 provides details about extensions, taxability of income, deductions and a range of information for those serving in the military. If you or your spouse is serving in a combat zone, this bulletin has tax information specific to your situation. You can also visit for helpful information for military personnel.

The Department of Revenue offers a short video to help taxpayers understand how to file an extension. To watch the video, please visit

And for more information about filing an extension of time to file, visit